Thursday, March 27, 2014

Happy Holi!!!


A little bit of a scary picture... but still fun!

The Festival of Colors (Holi) is being celebrated in Utah this weekend.  I’ve always wanted to go to this celebration and honestly, I don’t know why I haven’t yet.  Well when I got here I realized that I would be here in India during that celebration, I was so excited!  Holi was actually celebrated here in India on March 17th!  This holiday was an absolute BLAST to celebrate here.  In the morning we had our Telugu class and then after that we ran to the house to grab our money to go buy some colors.  Our Indian family that lives in the house with us said they would wait till we got back to start celebrating with us.  So we ran up the road to this little shop that was selling a bunch of things for the holiday.  They had tons and tons of colors to choose from and they also had colorful water guns and things like that, it was so fun!  Here, Holi is celebrated with not only with throwing all the colorful chalk, but it is also a giant colorful water fight!!!  As we were buying our chalk, a group of girls (completely covered with rainbows of chalk powder) came up to each of us saying “Happy Holi!” and then rubbing the colorful chalk in their hands all over our faces!  Some of them rubbed their powder onto our faces, and some of the girls just threw tons of it on us and then ran away! Haha it was so funny!  Well we hurried back to the house where they had been waiting for us but with buckets filled with purple water ready to throw on us!  So it began!  We had an absolute blast throwing our colors all over each other, rubbing it into people’s faces and hair, and having a giant water fight!  There was a group of young boys (our neighbors) who were outside having a colorful water fight too; they decided to start a water fight war with us which was a ton of fun too!  It was just an absolute blast celebrating Holi this way in India.  Everything and everyone was an absolute colorful mess afterwards but it was so much fun.  Sadly I didn’t get any pictures of it since I didn’t want my camera getting ruined, but one of my friend’s here dared to use his phone and took some fun pictures from it.  


Sidu! Durga's son Sidu joined in and was having a blast with a water gun, he is so cute!

Most of the colors on my face got washed off from the water, sad huh?

Our hands were completely dyed afterwards.  My hands are the pink/purple ones at the top.

My skin was died for a while, and even my hair!  Of all the colors that had been rubbed into my hair, the pink stayed.  So I temporarily have some pink coloring in my hair!  And the road outside of our house is still colorful!  Happy Holi everyone!!!


This was the top I was wearing during Holi after it was aggressively washed haha

No comments:

Post a Comment