Tuesday, January 28, 2014

One of Those “Oh No!” Moments


Of course the day after I vowed to never drink water outside of the house again…. I do!  I went out with one of the translators to interview someone for my project.  We went to talk to this one lady and her daughter, they were SO nice!  They were super excited to have me in their little home; we ended up staying there for almost 3 hours! The majority of our time there wasn’t even related to my project because they wanted me to look at a bunch of their photo albums haha!  The main lady that we spoke with wanted me to see the wedding album from one of her sons who got married not too long ago.  She brought me out a HUGE book and started going through it with me, pointing out each picture and talking about it for probably 3 minutes per picture.  It took a long time to get through the album haha but it was really fun to look at.  She ended up having me go through four different albums; my translator was trying to flip through the pages as fast as she could haha recognizing how long it would take.  Well they were incredibly sweet and very hospitable; it was a great experience for the most part.  Towards the end of my interview with them, the mother brought out a plate of sweets to offer to my translator and I.  I still wasn’t feeling very well from my night before but I didn’t want to be rude so I took a “sweet” to be polite, I took a small bite and regretted it haha (a good amount of the “sweets” or “desserts” here aren’t exactly pleasing to the taste buds if ya know what I mean) I figured I would just take the rest of it home with me and dispose of it there.  Well during our conversation they insisted that I eat it haha so I fought with my mouth and stomach to swallow each bite and keep it down.  I was relieved when I finished that sweet but then she brought out another plate with two other types of sweets to offer to me!  Still not wanting to offend, I picked the smallest option and started eating it “mmm! It’s so good!” I said to try and thank her haha she smiled at me and then handed me a big cup of water!!! OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!  

I awkwardly held it not knowing what to do, while I tried to swallow the other treat and keep it down.  Well what do ya know, as soon as I finished that sweet she held the plate out again to me wanting me to eat the other!  There was no way I was going to be able to convince my mouth to swallow more especially when it was such a large sweet.  So I tried to say “no thank you I’m super full” but she kept insisting that I take it.  We finally settled on me at least trying it so I broke off a small piece to hurry and swallow and then took two very small sips of the water to wash it all down haha.  My translator must have recognized the panicked look on my face about the water, because she then told me that it was just fine if I didn’t finish it.  Whew!!! What a relief!!!  I’m sooo glad I didn’t have to drink all of that water!  I didn’t want to offend them so I’m so grateful for my wonderful translator!  It was a really fun visit with this family, they were so incredibly nice!  My translator told them how I was getting married when I got back home, and they insist that I get married here in India! Haha and that I could come live with them, they were really nice cute people!

No comments:

Post a Comment